The CMA CGM Group is to deploy its flagship fleet of 18,000 TEU vessels on the Pearl River Express Service. Known as the giants of the sea these six vessels will permanently link Asia and the U.S. West Coast.
All are named after great men including Portuguese and French naval officers, a German travel writer, a U.S. Ambassador to France and a Chinese maritime explorer. Each an explorer playing an important role in World History:
- One year old CMA CGM KERGUELEN pays tribute to the French naval officer who in the 18th century discovered the Islands located south of the Indian Ocean, and which were named after him.
- Delivered in July 2015, the CMA CGM VASCO DE GAMA was named after the first European who reached India by sea in 1498.
- The CMA CGM GEORG FORSTER, delivered in June 2015 the namesake of the German travel writer who participated in James Cook’s second voyage to the Pacific (18th century).
- The CMA CGM ZHENG HE, delivered in September 2015, was named after the Chinese maritime explorer, who commanded expeditionary voyages to Southeast Asia, South Asia, Western Asia, and East Africa in the 15th century.
- Spectacularly inaugurated in October 2015, the CMA CGM BOUGAINVILLE was named after the famous French naval officer and explorer, who captained the inaugural French circumnavigation of the globe in a scientific expedition, from 1766 to 1769.
- Finally, the CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, the most recent of this series, was named after one of the Founding Fathers of the United States and remains a symbol of the Franco-American friendship. This vessel has successfully completed her maiden calls in December 2015 and was recently inaugurated at the Port of Long Beach. En route to China, she returns to the U.S. once her Chinese calls are completed, before being joined by five other vessels at the end of May.
The above count among the world’s largest vessels highlighting CMA CGM’s commitment in writing a new chapter of American maritime history.