Attentive to the humanitarian and social issues that affect many countries in the African continent, the Foundation decided to put the know-how and expertise of CMA CGM at the service of major French NGOs, and launched in 2012 a large humanitarian transport operation, Containers of Hope, on the lines and ships of the CMA CGM Group.
Since 2012, the Containers of Hope operation has allowed free shipping of 300 containers destined to programs implemented by NGOs in 21 countries, mainly in Africa. More than 2,000 tons of food, medical and logistics material, hygienic and sanitation supplies were carried to fight child malnutrition and epidemics, to cure the most fragile children or to promote the access to drinking water.
Conducted by the Corporate Foundation, the Containers of Hope operation is made possible by the mobilization of several dozens of staff members of the Group, from the Head Office in Marseille, to local CMA CGM agencies, to all of the crews on the lines and ships of the Group.
In response to the needs expressed by its partners, the CMA CGM Corporate Foundation renewed this initiative with Doctors without Borders, Action Against Hunger, Handicap International and signed a new partnership with the French Red Cross.
Some examples of programs supported by the Containers of Hope operation:
- – Fight against child malnutrition (Mali, Niger, Chad, Central African Republic, Nigeria, Somalia, Yemen and Pakistan)
- – Mother and child health program ( Southern Sudan, Nigeria and Ivory Coast)
- – Fight against Ebola (Guinea)
- – Assistance to refugees and victims of conflicts (Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lebanon)
- – Support to hospitals (Congo-Brazzaville)
- – Water and sanitation programs (Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia)
- – Fight against malaria (Mali), fight against HIV and tuberculosis (Malawi)
- – Educational support (Madagascar)